Effective Networking for Dentists
Networking is an important part of building your business, whether you are just starting out or are looking at selling your dental practice.
Here are some simple steps on how and where to effectively network for your dental practice:
- Apply to local chapters of professional organizations. If you’re able to join the organization in a leadership role this is even better. It will help to establish you as an authority in your field and as a respected leader in the community.
- Join your local community networking groups, such as the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, Kiwanis, and other service and community-based groups.
- Don’t discount business networking groups, such as Business Networking International (BNI). These groups are designed to provide referrals for their members as a requirement for participation. Additionally, many of these groups only allow one person per industry so you would be the only dental provider in your group with a full team of people working to provide you with referrals on a weekly basis.
- Always have your business cards on hand to share with new people you meet, even if you’re just going out to a dinner with friends. You never know who you may meet.
- Approach every new contact with a positive attitude. People quickly learn if you’re only interested in promoting yourself and will likely not engage if they feel you are only there to do self-promotion.
- Get involved in community events. If there are opportunities to set up booths or tables at community health fairs or festivals, take advantage of these opportunities. It will get your name out in the community and establish a sense of goodwill.
- Don’t discount social media networking. Sites like LinkedIn are great resources for professionals to network and could lead you to a prospective buyer if you’re going to be selling your dental practice in the near future. If you’re just starting out, it can help you network with other dental professionals around the country and learn from their experiences and possibly receive referrals from them. It can also provide you with opportunities to participate in exclusive events for your profession.
With these tips, you can effectively network and build your professional contact list as well as your customer referral base.